Monday, August 12, 2013

Three Things and a Quick Update

I'm alive, I promise!  I really didn't realize I had dropped off the face of the planet the way I had until I checked my last post and realized my last post was in July!  I'm sorry if I worried anyone.  It seems I lost my voice for a little while.  I had millions of thoughts floating in my head, but I just couldn't seem to find the words to express them.  After my latest PTSD moment, Bucko and I hit a bit of a rough patch.   We seemed to move away from each other, but now we are headed back in a positive direction.  (More on that later.)  This is a post I've been trying to get out for over a week.  It's pretty light, and seems like a good place to start again.

One of the hardest things to do after a round with the PTSD monster is to get back on the horse.  I fret and worry that he will rear his ugly head again, and many things will happen.  I will feel like a failure, Bucko will be disappointed.  Because he is disappointed... blah blah blah.  I can really take it to the worst case scenario place.  It makes any kind of intimacy next to impossible.  Even the loving touches and playful spankings can be too much during one of these periods.

The advice my therapist gave us is to focus on touches I do like and when I feel scared just pause, but don't stop.  Focus on the moment and breathe through it. The biggest problem isn't the act of intimacy or touching.  It is getting out of my own head and realizing that nothing is wrong in the moment.  When I start thinking I panic.

The first thing we tried when we first started all this was massaging.  Bucko would give me a massage starting with the areas that didn't scare me and work his way to places that made me nervous like my legs and upper thighs.  For some reason touching my neck has always made me nervous.  The goal here is for me to relax and realize Bucko isn't going to hurt me.  The problem is I tend to let my mind wander.  When my mind wanders, I either avoid or I make myself nervous.

During one such back rub I started talking about school or a blog post I wanted to write and I was met with a stern glare.  Thus the three things rule was born.   Now when I'm being given a massage I am only allowed to think three things.  These are his words not mine.

1. Absolutely nothing.  I am not thinking anything and just enjoying the massage.

2.  My husband is giving me a massage and this is awesome.

3.  My husband is giving me a massage.  That's really hot and I want to jump his bones.  (Bucko openly encourages #3)

I am still struggling a little with the three things rule, but it does seem to help me focus what thoughts do run through my head back to the moment.  We have made some forward progress, so maybe it's working.  :)

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like they are good rules. HOpe they continue to work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw well im happy youre back and even happier youre headed back in the right direction. That sounds like a really tough thing to go through, and im glad you have him to help you through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too. Things seem much better lately.

      Delete
  3. Excellent rules - I couldn't follow them, but I think they're great. I'm addicted to what some of my friends used to call 'mind blogging'. Give me some tips on how you can manage this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had some. It seems like as soon as I try to relax my head fills with new thoughts. If you come up with anything please share.

      Delete
  4. Your therapist sounds like one smart lady, (but I suppose she should be) BUCKO...well, I can't think of anything else when a post is floating around in my head ( obviously it hasn't been doing that for a while here either) so good luck. I applaud his efforts though. Here's hoping you can continue down the path towards each other.

    My lame advice, try not to focus on a speed bump, just ride it out and face forward. Sometimes examining every pebble in the ttwd road has I stopped longer than we need to. NOT saying to pretend your car didn't bottom out if you hit a sink hole.

    Ah..heck...don't listen to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think your advice is lame at all. It is hard to not focus on the bump. For me it sort of feels like when someone cuts you off or you almost hit someone and your heart pounds for a little while afterward. It takes time to get over, but eventually you get there.

      Love and hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  5. Hello there! It's good to,see you.
    I like Bucko's rules. Hope you guys keep moving forward.
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back T...listen to your wonderful therapist and awesome Bucko...I have faith that they are going to help you through this.

    Look how far you've come!

    If you have a particular song that you like, play it whenever Bucko is touching...sometimes positive association with music helps. Don't know if this will work for you or not...just a suggestion.

    Sending lots of prayers and healing energy your way.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to keep that same faith. Here's hoping. I like the music suggestion. We might have to try that.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I had the neck thing for a really really long time. I still flinch if it happens too fast, but if it happens slow enough I can relax into it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

      Delete
  8. Hey TL. Welcome back! It's great to see you :) Happy to hear you are moving back in the right direction.

    You have an awesome therapist and amazing husband :) The advice from your therapist sounds great and I love Buckos rules! Why am I not surprised that he prefers No 3? LoL. I'm sure if I talked about work or *gasp* blogging during a massage I would get a similar reaction.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He mentioned again last night how much he loves #3. I think it must be a guy thing.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  9. I like how Bucko made his point with rule # 3. LOL.

    Your therapist sounds like a wise lady. Gosh TL, why do we women get so caught in our heads and worry about everything, so quickly getting to the worst case scenario? Our men don't seem to go there as much. Keep listening to your Bucko b/c you are never a disappointment to him.

    Enjoy those massages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you figure out the answer to that question let me know! The rules seem to be working and I got a nice back to school massage out of the deal. :)

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  10. Bucko likes number 3, lol, I laughed so hard when you said that. :)

    It is good that he is being so patient and loving with you. That man just thinks you're great. :) I have to admit, even though I would find the three rules hard as well, I think it is a great idea. It will help slow down your mind, even to an almost meditative state. :) Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be helping and I have been able to relax and enjoy more. Here's hoping it keeps working. :)

      Delete