Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A More Appropriate Title than I Thought

My blog appears to have been on hiatus for a while.  I haven't had much to say, or rather I have and have been unsure of whether or not I really wanted to say it.  This post according to my post count is to be my 100th.  I wanted to make this post special, and avoided writing what was on my heart in order to that.  That hasn't worked out so well, as I've taken away my place to process.

It is no secret that as of late I have been struggling.  My sadness was soul consuming and I just didn't have it in me to do more than get out of bed.  I retreated.  I retreated from everything, blogland, my friends, my family, and even my husband.  I found myself in a place of hopelessness that I thought I had left behind me.  I considered calling my therapist.  I considered reaching out for help, but I didn't.  I'm not sure if it was shame, cowardice, or stubbornness that kept me from doing so.  Perhaps it was a mix of all three.

There is an old saying that says the first steps are the hardest.  I disagree.  I think the first steps back are the hardest.  First steps are hard, but what is worse is getting past those seemingly impossibly hard first steps only to be knocked on your butt back to square one.  When you have worked so hard only to once again feel like a failure getting up and trying again seems impossible.  It also seems pointless.  Why fight so hard when it seems like no matter what you end up back in that place?  I don't have the answer to that question.  Sometimes that is the hardest step admitting that you don't know.

I don't know why things in my past happened to me.  I don't know why they happen to anyone.  I don't know why I have these moments that take me to such a dark and lonely place.  I don't know why I don't allow others to help me out of these dark caverns.  I don't know why, no matter how good I am I always feel as though there is something wrong with me.  I don't know what I can do to make this better, no matter how much I want to.  I don't know why I feel like *I* have to be the one to make this better.

I was reading a book I borrowed from a friend.  This book had a section on definitions of letting go.  I don't agree with all of them, but some of them resonated with my current situation so I wanted to share them.

Letting go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in our hands.  I wrestled with this one quite a bit in my head.  Powerlessness is what I felt as a little girl.  It's something I never wanted to feel again.  This makes me think that perhaps powerlessness doesn't mean what I thought it does.  Being powerless doesn't have to mean that I'm a victim.  It doesn't mean that I am not supposed to try to make things better.  Maybe it just means it's not all on me.  I rarely talk about my faith on this blog, but if you will indulge me for a moment I'm going to now.  I didn't grow up in a religious home.  Both of my parents found their faith later in life.  I had a great many struggles in my life that made me wonder why things happened the way they do.  It didn't make sense to me then.  I'd be lying if I said it did now, but perhaps there are things we aren't meant to understand.  I do believe that God has a plan.  I believe that things will work out the way they are meant to. I can't believe that I'm not meant to be able to love my husband completely.  I can't believe that there is something so innately wrong with me that I'm not meant to be a mother.  God doesn't always answer right away.  It's another cliche, but I better than anyone know the teacher doesn't talk during the test.

To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires, but to take each day as it comes, and cherish myself in it.  I'm controlling.  I like plans.  I want everything to work out the way I want it.  I want everyone to do and say exactly what I think they should.  I try very hard to make each day go according to plan.  You can guess how often that happens.  Some days things are great.  Those days are easy to take.  It's much harder to take the ones that don't go according to plan.  What I am learning is that I can't control how the world responds anymore than I can control the weather.  Even harder is learning to cherish myself.  I cherish my husband, my friends, my students.  I have never cherished myself.  I have always felt like there was something wrong with me.  I lived my life in a world where putting on a happy face was the order of the day.  Don't be sad and stop crying were things I heard all the time.  When I have those feelings now I feel guilty.  I feel like there is something wrong with feeling that way.  I am slowly learning that feeling what I feel is okay, and sad doesn't have to have a reason.  Sometimes I'm just sad.  

I lived my life trying to win awards or "be good" in someway.  No matter what I did I have never felt good.  I don't see myself that way.  When someone gives me a compliment I revel in it, but my head doesn't believe it.  Surely not me.  I wish I saw myself the way other people, especially my husband, see me.  I may not ever see myself that way.  Maybe it's enough to just feel like it is okay to feel whatever I feel.  Maybe it's enough to know it's okay to be gentle with myself.

To let go is not to regret the past, but to grow and live for the future.  It's easy to say I hate what happened to me and wish it never did.  Who wouldn't?  Then again, can I really regret something I had no control over?  On the other hand while what happened was horrible it has shaped the person I am.  I am, perhaps, stronger than I give myself credit for.  I work with children and try hard to make them feel good about themselves.  I'm able to recognize signs other adults might miss.  If the intimate knowledge I have with these horrible experiences allows me to stop it from happening to another child, or helps a child feel better about herself it can't be all bad.  I don't know if I want to live for the future.  It seems like then I'm only working toward a moment I may or may not get to.  Perhaps, I can just focus on letting go of the past and living for the moment.  They may not always be good, but another one will be along in a minute.

To let go is to fear less, and love more.  I grew up with fear.  The hits, the scary touches, the never knowing what would set it off.  Fear and I are old friends.  Even now we are close.  Always wondering what you've done wrong.  Anytime someone wants to talk to you expecting something bad.  That's how I have always lived my life.  Living with fear is living in a dark place.  I still live there, but now I feel like at least I have a flashlight.  Love is the flashlight.  Having people around who care about me makes my world less scary.  It doesn't mean I'm not afraid, but it means I have hands to hold in the dark and someone to help cast a light on the shadows.  

I changed the name of my blog a while ago to express a change in what I was feeling at the time.  Letting go when I was feeling good was easy.  This time is harder, but I'm learning.

24 comments:

  1. Hugs..this is an awesome, awesome post! You will have many people nodding their heads in agreement at various parts. "the teacher does not talk during the test"...i need to remember that, thanks. You have helped many by posting this, you strong, may you soon find some peace.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby. I wrote this post selfishly for me, but if it can help someone in the process that's fantastic.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  2. "To let go is to fear less, and love more." I LOVE that one. You're right though...sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's really hard. I'm glad you are starting to feel a little better TL. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard, but it's worth it. I am starting to see the light again.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  3. Oh TL. Super hugs. Letting go is so hard for anyone...especially for someone who has reasons to hold on a little tighter. I am so sorry you are going through a difficult time, but I pray the "flashlight" in your life shines bright and you are able to see it as a spotlight and then an overhead light and then more. Praying for you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. A few more voices in my corner can't hurt.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  4. Stay strong and keep that flashlight firmly in hand.

    Wonderful post that will be helpful for everyone else too. Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs. This is an amazing post. It's so wonderful that you work with children to help them. That is an amazing quality to have and do.
    I love what you said about the teacher not talking during the test. That was perfectly stated.
    And love is the light.
    Hugs,
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think as a teacher I would understand that better, but it is still difficult. I'm starting to see and feel the light again.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  6. The past has the power to shape us more then we know, we just have to look it in the face and stick our tongues out at it. I think you are doing that. I think you are stronger than you think you are. What a difference you are making to the lives of lots of other young people due to your past. How positive that is. To them, you are a light shining in the darkness. A straw to grasp. If ever I saw a plan, then you are it. What a challenge for you. And perhaps you will be able to pass the light on to some of them.

    I think what you are doing is wonderful. Keep going. Stay strong.

    Many hugs

    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words. I hope that this is all part of a plan that has a wonderful happy ending. I'm trying to stay positive.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  7. I think this is an amazing post and you are an amazing girl. Please don't feel it is wrong to ask for help from anyone at anytime. You would guide others to ask for help wouldn't you? There is nothing wrong in needing a helping hand. On the subject of children I struggled for ages to have my second son, basically the doctors had said it would never happen, We became foster parents and it was while we were looking after a baby girl for a while that I fell pregnant. They then said that my body was tricked into producing hormones when she came into our lives. I think maybe I was more relaxed and less "desperate" because she was there. She left after a few months ( back home :( ), and I will always be eternally grateful to her for the gift she left behind!! Don't give up, we never know what is round the corner. Wish I could help you lovey, take care
    Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I am trying to relax, but that is so hard to do. Sometimes it seems like wanting a baby consumes my thoughts. I'm trying to stay positive. Thank you for sharing your story. It helps keep me hopeful.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  8. Aw, sending lots of hugs your way! Stay strong, and stay positive! I know sometimes that can be hard, but you can do it!

    Congrats on 100 posts as well, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi TL,:)

    This was a terrific post! The way that you take your tough experience and use those feelings in a positive way to give to children and others. Well I think that is wonderful. And I think that you are too! I am sure that Bucko is very proud of you!

    It is hard to let go sometimes and just be during hard and painful times. I think that you are on to something when you say that "love is the flashlight"! I have learned that during those times, if we let those around us who love and care, lift us up and carry us through, nothing is insurmountable. You take care TL! I speak for all I bet when I say that we are here for you any time you need us! Big hugs to you,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie. Your positive words are so sweet and uplifting. I appreciate all the "flashlights" I have gotten through blogland.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  10. Hi TL,

    Congrats on 100 posts! This was awesome. You definitely ARE much stronger than you think :) I think the work you do with the children is amazing. Using your experience to help and provide a light for them.

    I love what you said about love being the light and having hands to hold in the dark and someone to help cast a light. Keep holding onto that light.

    ((Hugs))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roz. You have been such an amazing cheerleader. I appreciate your friendship. Makes it a little easier to stay positive.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  11. I love how you keep processing, keep striving. You want more, and even though life gets you down at time, you refuse to let it be all you are. There is real beauty and strength inside of you TL because of that.

    I am sorry that things have been so hard for you lately, but I am glad that you are taking time to see things in possible new lights. I do think living for today on many things is a great idea. :) When I plan too much for a baby, that is when I get down, but when I enjoy each day as it comes, the wait is easier. But there are things I do realize I have to keep an eye on, the monthly budget, savings for what we want to do in a year, five, retirement, health, and so on. So it's a balance of finding on what to plan for tomorrow, and what to savour today. :) Not sure if that would work for you, but it's what is helping my sanity as I wait for so many things.

    {{{HUGS}}} It is trully okay to be sad just because you're sad. Those days come. Fighting the tears that are there often only make the healing hold off until another day. Every tear heals. It doesn't have to make sense, you don't have to know why it's there, but it is good for your heart.

    Thank you, TL, for being so honest with us. It means so much to me to get to see the real you. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Es May. You are always so positive and cheerful. I appreciate that about you more than I can say. Right now I'm just taking things one day at a time. I feel better like I have turned a corner, but I'm still trying to not look too far ahead. I think once I get a little further we can start making plans.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  12. Hey T...What a wonderful post! Lots of love and insight for everyone.

    Sweetie...whenever you get scared, feel hopeless and don't think you can reach out for help, just remember that you have more than just that huge flashlight named Bucko...you have lots of flashlights with different names from this community...you can always reach out the the flashlight named Cat.

    BTW...whenever you start feeling bad, think about the advice you would give to someone you were trying to help if she said these things to you. Please treat yourself as good as you treat those you are trying to help.

    Sending lots of healing energy and positive thoughts your way.

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am forever grateful for all the wonderful friends I have made in blogland who are so supportive. I'm trying to reach out more instead of retreating into my shell. Being gentle with myself is harder than with anyone else. Thank you for being my friend and reminding me that I don't have to do it all alone.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete