Today's Monday Musing is a little different in that I am actually musing. I had an encounter this week that helped improve my perspective on life. I can't think of a better thing to do than to share that with others.
We all know last week was a bad week. I was feeling pretty low, and just generally out of sorts. On Friday, of this rough week Bucko was working late, so there was no need to cook the dinner I had planned. I went to a drive thru, and ordered myself a little something with the hopes of taking it home to watch little TV and relax. When I pulled up to get my food the girl behind the counter told me that the lady in front me had paid for my food, and wanted me to have a nice day.
I didn't know this lady. She didn't know me, but she wanted me to have a nice day. That simple act of kindness made my weekend. I was so excited to see that someone went out of her way to do something nice for a person she didn't know. It made me want to be kind to another person. So I did.
Today while I was picking up my lunch I paid for the car behind me. The affect on my mood was dramatic and instantaneous. I felt great. When I requested to pay for the car behind me the girl behind the counter was so excited. It was as if she felt good helping me help someone. I didn't know the person behind me, I don't know if he needed a meal or a pick-me-up, but he got one. The random act of kindness from a stranger made me feel so wonderful that I couldn't wait to pass it on. Maybe the car behind me felt the same way. Wouldn't it be wonderful if he passed it on to someone else?
Kind strangers reaching out to others makes the world a better place. Blogland is kind of like that. I wouldn't call us strangers, as sometimes I feel like you all know me better than people I've known my whole life, but we reach out to each other. We help people that we may never really get the chance to meet, and too often we don't know what kind of affect we have on the world.
Blogland has been there through some of my darkest and weakest points. You all have seen me through to the other side. I am glad to know that I can depend on the kindness of strangers. I just hope that like the drive thru, I am able in someway to pass it on.
Oh that is so sweet. both you and her. I hope you have a lovely week this week to make up for the rough ones you have had recently,
ReplyDeletelove Jan.xx
Thank you for your post! We were a military family and we always enjoy purchasing meals for families in restaurants when military families dine. It always makes me feel so good to support a young family even if it is in such a small way.
ReplyDeleteMeredith
: ) you do.
ReplyDeleteWhat you did is called Paying it Forward. To me blog land is all about that! It isn't about keeping score, that is not what I mean. I mean people were so fantastic to me when I first started blogging, I feel it is my responsibility to try to make new bloggers feel welcome. People have been so kind to me when I have been down, I feel it my obligation to do the same. But responsibility and obligation sound like a negative thing, when really it is just doing what is right, and that makes everyone feel great! Or so I think anyway, but what do I know?
ReplyDeleteHope your week is fantastic!
love, willie
That's awesome!! :)
ReplyDeleteTL,
ReplyDeleteI LOVED this post! I'm so glad for you, that you experienced this, and that you turned around and did it for someone else too. You never know what it might have meant, you just knew how it made you feel.
It's amazing what 1 little act of kindness can do for a person's soul, you know?
And you have a beautiful one!
♥ Cali
Loved this post. Love living life that way, I call it paying it forward. It makes me feel good.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are still here and that this week is soooooo much better.
What a feel good story TL;)
ReplyDeleteI have done this a few times in the past year..let's hope it keeps on being passed on.
ReplyDeletehugs abby
Thank for sharing. We all need to hear the nice things people do, instead of what we usually hear on the news. I pray that God continues to bless you by the receiving and giving of blessings. God bless all you love, also. -Belle L.
ReplyDeleteAwwww T...how sweet of both of you. Hope you have a lovely and peaceful week. Sending lots of positive and healing energy your way.
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings,
Cat
What a lovely story TL, thank you for sharing. Good on her and you. I'm so glad this happened for you. It really is amazing what a difference small acts of kindness can make isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a wonderful week.
Hugs,
Roz
Now that sounds like the beginning of a much, much better week TL! I hope it continues to go this way.
ReplyDeleteYou just did pass it on, TL. You gave us a warm feeling and smiles. Gifts of the heart are the very best kind. Thank you for sharing this uplifting story.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Irishey
Yay for Paying it Forward :) Such a nice thing to read today...definitely inspired me!
ReplyDeleteYou're so right, TL. It is such a small and simple act, that made your day, and likely made the day of not only the person who helped you, but the person you helped and the person who helped you help someone. Paying it forward is a most incredible act, that can have monumental impact. Just imagine what kind of world we could have if everyone touched by a ripple created another ripple.
ReplyDeleteThanks for being a ripple in the pool that keeps the water sweet and makes a better world.
(((hugs)))
You are the sweetest! This is an absolutely amazing post, and i'm going to do this as well - so yes, you are passing it on for sure!
ReplyDeleteToday, at a very hard moment for a mother, I trusted a total stranger. I thought to myself of the many, many, times I've drawled the words "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers"-but meant them-not ironically as the original speaker (from Streetcar Named Desire) meant them. So I went ahead-- I handed my most precious thing-my ill child-to a stranger. -- All was well.
ReplyDeleteWe humans can rise to the occasion if given the chance. Rise yourself--and give others the chance to carry you!
I read this last week, but then remembered when I went to reply, something kept me from it, so sorry I'm so late to the game.
ReplyDeleteI loved this story last week, and I loved rereading it today. That really touched my heart that that was done for you. :) The kindness of strangers really can be wonderful. :) And TL, you do pass it on, all the time. You have so much love for the people here, and we all feel it. {{{HUGS}}} I am so glad and honoured to know you!