Sunday, September 15, 2013

Monday Musings- Book Review

I'm a teacher and I love to read.  I have at least ten books on my Kindle that are in various stages of being read.  I have a pile of books on my desk at work that have been recommended to me, and book shelves full in my classroom.  I have so many books my boss has told me I'm not allowed anymore books for fear of breaking the fire code.

I do indulge myself with some spanking fiction and erotic literature in between my reading books for my students.  My suggested for you list on Amazon is ... interesting to say the least.  One of my favorite genres of spanking fiction is historical spanking fiction.  I love the idea of getting swept away into another romantic world.

One of my favorite authors of said genre is Renee Rose.  So when Renee asked if I would like to read her latest book in exchange for a review I couldn't agreed fast enough.





The  Reddington Scandal is a spin-off of Renee's other regency book, The Westerfield Affair, which incidentally is my favorite spanking fiction of all time.  It has all that Jane Austen Mr. Darcy yumminess and spanking.  Ahem... I digress.

While Westerfield has a special place in my heart, I also loved The Reddington Scandal.  The setting was the same, but the characters had an entirely different appeal than their predecessors.

Teddy Fenton, the male lead, has an unexpected endearing quality to him.  I didn't expect to like the man who was notorious for sleeping with married women, but there is more to him than meets the eye.  He has a tender quality about him with the women he truly cares for that softens some of his apparent character flaws.  He is commanding without being overbearing, which is a rare quality in a historical piece.   I often find the male leads to be dominating to the point of being a jerk about it.  That isn't the case with Teddy.  While he doesn't have that aloof Mr. Darcy air of regal command, I found his sense of humor, easy going manners, and occasional self depreciation to be wonderfully humanizing.  He didn't seem as though he were an impossible fantasy.  Some of his quips reminded me of my own man and I liked that he seemed like a fantasy that could have been a reality.

His leading lady Phoebe was equally compelling.  In some novels I've read the leading ladies have little to no depth.  They are simply there to follow orders.  That has never been the case in Renee's work and Phoebe doesn't disappoint.  She is witty, smart, and more than a match for her leading man.  Phoebe also has a soft side that draws you in, and you find yourself riding the roller coaster along with her. She has moments where she appears to be a little on the bratty side, but in the context of her character it made total sense. Without revealing the story I will say there is more to Phoebe than meets the eye in chapter one.  This girl is not just window dressing for her man.

The premise of the plot wasn't something I thought I would enjoy.  I didn't think I would enjoy watching the cheating man get the sweet girl.  I was wrong.  I found myself drawn into the story without feeling like I was intruding on a private moment.  I was rooting for Teddy and Phoebe to get it together and find each other.  The story moved at a good pace and the relationship between the characters didn't seem forced.  It didn't seem like they got together too soon just for the sake of a spanking.  The more naughty scenes were hot without being vulgar, which was a big plus for me. There were moments in the book that were very funny and quite charming.

I enjoyed The Reddington Scandal, and would recommend it with no hesitation. I have read it three times already, and it does contain a bonus story with Harry and Kitty Westerfield.

The Westerfield Affair was a very special novel and while this follow up didn't boot Harry and Kitty's story from the top spot on my list; it earned a spot on the list on its own merit.  Great job, Renee.  If you want to run anymore books by me, you know how to get in touch with me.

8 comments:

  1. TL, you're the reason I write. :) Thank you for giving The Reddington Scandal a read-- I'm so glad you liked it *almost* as much as the Westerfield Affair.
    I so appreciate your review!!

    love,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that, especially if it means you will continue to write books like Westerfield. I enjoyed this one, and it was really cool getting to read it before everyone else. It's kind of like being in on a big secret.

      You and I have talked about how much I love Harry and Kitty. Any book that is going to knock those two out of the top spot would have to be something simply *amazing.*

      Love,
      TL

      Delete
  2. Sounds as if I have to add this to my reading list. I am usually not a fan of the regency era, but I did enjoy The Westerfield Affair.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi TL,

    This is such a great review, thank you for sharing. A wonderful overview of the book.

    It sounds as though I have to add this to my reading list too. I have enjoyed the snippets Renee has given us on her blog.

    Love the new look too :)

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love historical DD romances, they are my favourite, I'll have to give it a read. I've read so many that I can find now, and was beginning to run out of options. :) I'll have to check out her other historical romance as well. :)

    ReplyDelete