Anyone who has followed my blog for a while knows of my struggles with PTSD. I rarely if ever know what causes my episodes, but once I have one it can take weeks and even months to "get back on the horse" so to speak.
It used to frustrate my husband. It was hard for him (no pun intended.) I know the lack of intimacy was difficult for him, but now I also see how he struggled, because I was struggling. He wanted to help me. He wanted to ease my pain somehow. He wanted to be the perfect man in bed, so that these moments would go away. We both realize now that simply wasn't and isn't possible.
Now we seemed to have switched places. I used to not be as upset by these moments. Being intimate was something I had resigned myself to do without. Now he is the patient one, and after an episode I am the one frustrated and feeling like a failure. I want to be "better" for him, because he deserves better. I often worry one day he'll realize that and go find it.
I had one of my episodes about two months ago. For some reason this time it seemed to take longer than normal for me to feel ready to try again. We tried a few times, but it didn't really go anywhere. Bucko was happy with our progress, but I felt rather like disheartened by the whole situation. I was starting to wonder if we would get to experience that wonderful intimacy we had before. I don't say get back to the good place, because I know now that we are traveling down a road and no two places are alike.
Anyway, this weekend I was reading a new book on my awesome new e-reader (love blog hops btw!) and I was feeling a little frisky. I interrupted Bucko's game he was playing and finally we had a successful attempt. Hot damn! It's about time. I was feeling much more confident than I had in weeks. Things were looking up.
That is until we tried a second time. We were cuddling in each others arms and I leaned in to kiss him. For a while we just stayed there; our arms and legs entwined together as we kissed one of those slow melt your heart and soul kisses. He moved and our dance began.
The tragic thing about my moments are that everything is fine, until it isn't. I couldn't for the life of me tell you what happened. Most of the time I am unable to put my finger on it. Something happened, some uncomfortable sensation took me out of our moment and rushing back to the past. Panic set it. I put my hand on his chest and he stilled. I cried.
"Baby, it's okay. It's just me. Breathe," He soothed. His voice was slow and calm as he tried not to startle me further.
"I'm sorry," I whispered as I tried to steady myself. I closed my eyes and tried to force myself to stop feeling the fear that was coursing through me.
"Look at me. Open your eyes. You need to see that it is just me here and nothing is going to hurt you," He went on. His voice was soft, but there was a firmness there that caught me as off guard as his words did. Was he right? Did closing my eyes force me to stay in the past rather than focus on what is happening now?
I opened my eyes, but the tears didn't stop. I apologized again. He shushed me.
"This is our bed. This is the safest place in the world. It's just you and me. I won't let anything bad happen to you in here," He promised me. I took a deep breath. He moved. He shifted so that he was lying on his back. I moved to lay my head in the crook of his neck, and marveled, not for the first time, how my head seemed to fit there perfectly. Was this some kind of destiny, and I'd failed to notice it?
"I'm sorry," I apologized again as my tears slowed and my breathing became more even. I hated this and I needed him to know that.
"You have nothing to apologize for. This isn't your fault. It isn't your fault that some sick bastard hurt you. You do and feel whatever you need to. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere," he uttered the words softly as he kissed my hair and gently stroked my tense spine.
"You didn't either," I felt compelled to point out. I didn't want him for a second to think he'd done something wrong. My moments are mine. Nothing he could do would stop them, and I didn't want him to think badly about himself either.
"I know," he assured me. "This just happens and we'll work through it when it does. It will be okay. As long as I have you it will be okay. All you have to do is relax and let me love and take care of you."
I wiped my face and we stayed there in bed for a long while. We didn't speak we just held each other. I listened to his heartbeat and finally relaxed. I didn't know when we would try again, but for the moment it didn't matter.
A little voice in my head said, "Maybe tomorrow."
If not tomorrow, then the next day after that but someday and he'll be right there with you. How lovely is that?
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty amazing. I'm a very lucky girl.
DeleteTL,
ReplyDeleteThis is such an amazing post. I'm fighting back tears as I read it. You and your husband are dealing with so much, and yet there is such a sweetness between you - so much unselfish love - that it melts my heart.
I love how you see that you fit perfectly in the crook of his neck. I love all the things he said to you - especially that it's just you and him in your bed - and you are safe there.
I know how you might feel he deserves more - but remember that he loves you, 'for better or for worse' and he's choosing to love and honor you. If the roles were reversed, you would do the same, right? :)
Just keep on holding each other like you're doing - you will get through this, a day at a time.
hugs,
Cali
ps: The 50th Anniversary Special of Doctor Who is THIS SATURDAY!! Yay!
Hey Cali,
DeleteAwww... don't cry. I'm not. At least not at the moment. This weekend was a good moment for us. It's funny how sometimes the moments you think are awful at the time turn out to be something really wonderful. You are absolutely right. I would do it for him. Why is it so much harder to accept love than to give it? We're hanging in there for now. Can't wait for Doctor Who!
Hugs,
TL
It's true that after a really tough time, when we look back, we can see the growth and can be thankful for it. That's a really healthy place to be. :)
DeleteAnd I'm sure that the memories of your husband's tenderness with you will continue to warm your heart for a long time to come. I'm so glad for you both. :)
Awww T...you will try whenever you are ready and Bucko will be right beside you. Dang...you have got one heck of a man there don't ya. Of course, he's got one heck of a woman also.
ReplyDeleteSending lots of prayers, healing energy and positive thoughts your way
Hugs and Blessings...
Cat
He is one heck of a man. I'm just trying to deserve him. Thanks for all the positive thoughts. Every little bit helps.
DeleteHugs,
TL
Oh, this post makes me love Bucko. He was sweet to you, compassionate and loving and gentle. Good for Bucko.
ReplyDeleteDon't beat yourself up. Trauma happens. Healing from that trauma takes a long, long time. So you had a setback. So you may never know why. Focus on the sweetness of Bucko telling you that it was okay and you were all right.
Willie is president of the Bucko Fan Club. You can see her for membership information. ;)
DeleteI am working on it one day at a time. Focusing on Bucko helps. Thanks for reminding me of that.
Hugs,
TL
You two are so lucky to have one another. He's a wonderful may, but never forget you are a wonderful woman too. You're supposed to be together and you are. No one has a completely smooth ride, you know there are ups and downs. But I can see more ups in your future.
ReplyDeleteThanks PK. I am feeling pretty lucky right now. Here's hoping for more ups than downs.
DeleteHugs,
TL
Well as President of the Bucko Fan Club, this is an amazing post. BUT not because of Bucko. Sure he is an amazing man, but we both already knew that.
ReplyDeleteYou did it! No I don't mean the first time that day...not THAT it. YOU listened. YOU trusted. YOU saw hope where before you couldn't. YOU turned what could be a mountain into a moment, and a good one at that. YOU my friend are AMAZING!!!
Love willie
Ps. Bucko my heart still sings for you
I'm HOH Bucko, and I approve this message.
ReplyDeleteYour Bucko just had to say that. *eye roll* I knew when I wrote this post it would have some Willie <3 Bucko moments in it, but not to be self absorbed, I like the other part of this better. :) This road hasn't been easy, but having a friend like you along for the ride has helped me so much. Thank you for never allowing me to overwhelmed by the darkness, and for coming to find me when I get a little lost. You my friend are also amazing, but we knew that already.
DeleteLove,
TL
You have a loving varing man there. Lean in to him and the world will be right.
ReplyDeleteMeredith
That's the plan! Thanks for sharing.
DeleteAwe TL, this is so amazing. Bucko was so loving and caring. I love what he said to you. Good on you for listening and trusting him. You will try again when you are ready and Bucko will be right there beside you.
ReplyDelete((Hugs))
Roz
Thank you, Roz. It was a good moment. It's made it easier to feel ready to try again.
DeleteHugs,
TL
TL, I'm so glad you have Bucko! He sounds like an amazing man. I wish I had words that would take this heartache away. It's never completely gone and it rears up and attacks us when we least expect it. You aren't disappointing him. You're allowing him to hold you and comfort you during your most vulnerable moments. That's a gift, TL! Sending love and healing your way, Clara
ReplyDeleteHe is amazing. I'm just trying to be and let us be together. Thank you for the positive words. I appreciate them.
DeleteBeautiful, beautiful post, TL. So tender, so loving, so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Renee.
DeleteThis made me cry. I don't know what your PTSD is over but as I read your words I couldn't help but see myself there. Having been through some terrible things myself, I have had moments like this too. Moments when the sounds of something ignites a terror in me and I am paralyzed with fear. SM has held me many times through the years while I cried through those moments, wishing I could forget. They say forgive and forget but what they mean is forgive and fade, I think. Because you can't forget you can only allow the pain to fade and not to consume you (I mean me when I say this)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your Bucko held you tight and loved you through the moment.
Thank you for sharing.
love
sara
PTSD isn't easy. It's difficult to fight through. I'm glad that your husband has been there to hold you through. Having someone with you makes it easier. Thanks for sharing with me.
DeleteHugs,
TL
Aww TL! :) You have such a sweet and wonderful guy there! This is such a great post about what love is really all about! It can't be easy! You two are handling it with such tenderness and caring. Beautiful post to read. :) Many hugs,
ReplyDelete<3 Katie
I'm so sorry you have to go through that, but you have an amazing man right there next to you for when you are ready. And from your posts, I can tell you're a very strong woman! You'll get through it, and he'll be there waiting.
ReplyDeleteI understand to an extent what you are dealing with and I am so very sorry for your pain. And yet...my gosh, your husband. What an amazing love he has for you...as you do for him. I cried reading this because you two are so wonderful together.
ReplyDeleteTL, I wanted to cry, and also shout for joy for you. I am sorry that the PTSD still strikes without warning, but you still try, and that is so beautiful. I also loved what he said, that he's there, and he's not going anywhere. When you doubt, remember this post, and how much he loves you. {{{HUGS}}} Don't beat yourself up about what you can't do when an attack hits, focus on what you can do. Like laying beside him, your heat fitting so perfectly there, and still letting him love you.
ReplyDelete{{{hugs}}} EsMay
Well yes TL, I did cry, but they were happy tears. I have been trying to get here for days now. Sorry for taking so long. I'm sure I'm repeating what many others have said, but YOU see it right? You see how much you have grown, how the trust in Bucko (who was amazing by the way) as your safe place and your confidence in yourself has grown so much. You are both amazing.
ReplyDeleteWhat strength you have built up together, with each other. How fantastic is your communication to each other now? You are strong and you are there for and with each other.
ReplyDeleteThis is an honest post full of steel.