Thank you to everyone who commented on my last blog. I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to personally respond to each one, but things are a little crazy around here. Hopefully I will have comments answered today.
Well, the results are in. I had to go to the doctor the other day to get blood work done. This was too test to see if my blood sugar had dropped and how we go forward from here. Well the good news is that my A1C is lower. The bad news is not low enough. The doctor said she would give me three more months to try diet and exercise before putting me on a medication. At first I was really upset, I felt like I worked really hard only to fall short. Bucko seemed more optimistic. He said we can try harder and it will be better this time. He encouraged me not to give up yet.
So now I have gone to work out with a personal trainer. Oh my goodness, it is not yoga. This workout was tough. Like first workout on the biggest loser tough. Two days later my legs are still sore, but I did it. Bucko says I can't quit, so I guess I'll be going back next week.
The other big thing is diet. I have started measuring out snacks and really cutting carbs out of my diet. I read an article somewhere about the way to help with diet is to share recipes. I thought I would do that on my blog. I haven't decided what day of the week it will happen on regularly, but one day a week I will share a healthy recipe with you. If you have any great healthy recipes feel free to email them to me and I will share them as well. I am looking for mostly low carb, but reduced fat and anything healthy will be great. Since so many of us are trying to get healthy together this could be good for us.
Today's recipe is one of Bucko's favorite desserts. This recipe is quick, easy, and versatile. You can make it with whatever fruit you want to suit your family.
(Mostly) Sugar free cheesecake
Ingredients:
1 graham cracker crust (you can find these in a sugar free version in some stores)
1 tub of sugar free Cool Whip
1 block of reduced fat cream cheese
Sugar free sweetener (Splenda is great)
1 can of fruit pie filling (I use no sugar added cherry or blackberry most of the time, but this works great with anything. My sister likes it just topped with semi sweet chocolate chips.)
Directions:
1. Thaw Cool Whip and soften the cream cheese for about 20 minutes. I just set them on the counter for a little while.
2. Put the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and blend until it is free of lumps.
3. Add the cool whip and blend until combined.
4. Add a couple spoonfuls of Splenda to taste.
5. Spread the mixture into the pie crust evenly.
6. Top with the can of fruit topping.
7. Place in the fridge to set for 2-3 hours.
It's mostly sugar free and a light dessert. It's a good alternative to a very heavy sugary cake. Enjoy.
Thanks for the recipe. I'll send some to you. Are you looking for desserts or anything?
ReplyDeleteHope the test in 3 months goes better. Good luck with the personal trainer. It's so rough, but so with it! I have no doubt you can do it!
Anything really. The lower in carbs the better. I'm still sore, but I guess I'll get used to it.
DeleteHoney I think you are doing great! I wish I could afford a personal trainer, but I can't. However, having been just inside the diabetic margin for over a year I have to take one tablet per day to keep my sugar levels low. I have loads of recipes, although I an able to resist most stuff with sugar (although I still cook things for the rest of the family) as I prefer savoury food. My problem is that I do not like to substitute something like Splenda for sugar because of the side effects. However, if you like to eat sweet things, here is a recipe that's pretty good. Unfortunately due to the reduced sugar and fat content, this cake is best eaten within one to two days, or you can freeze it.
ReplyDeleteGinger and Date Cake
4 fl oz skimmed milk
5 oz dried stoned dates, roughly chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
8 oz plain wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 oz soft margarine
1 oz ground almonds
3 eggs, beaten
2 tbsps water
Place the milk and dates in a saucepan and heat gently for 5 minutes, until the dates are soft. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and set aside.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and spices, tipping any bran remaining in the sieve back into the bowl. Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the ground almonds. Gradually beat in the beaten eggs and finally stir in the water and date mixture. Beat well to combine. Place the mixture into a lightly greased and base-lined 2 lb loaf tin and level the surface.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) or Gas Mark 4, for 35-40 minutes until the cake is risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cuts into 14 slices.
Per Slice:
Calories 146
g fat 9
g protein 4
g carbohydrate 14
I don't know what you like eating, but if I can help by sending you any further recipes that your whole family can enjoy, please email me.
I have printed out your recipe, but I don't know what Cool Whip is so anyone who can help 'translate' please do so! I love cheesecake!
I can also let you have the Newmarket Jockies Diet if you would like? You can only go on it for two weeks max, but you should lose 10 lbs per week. I lost 12 lbs (only went on it for a week) and the weight stays off. I usually go on it during the summer because it is mainly fresh fruit, salad stuff, vegetables and fatless meat. But it is very healthy and you feel great on it! Feel free to email me!
Many hugs
Ami
Cool Whip is like a whipped topping. Ours is usually in the freezer section.
DeleteWe like anything really. Bucko is kind of picky about his veggies, but anything low carb is great. I'd love to see this diet you have. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
TL
Good for you on getting it lower! I have been completely off sugar, grain and dairy for two years for my autoimmune disease and I have a lot of favorite dessert recipes to share if you want!
ReplyDeletehugs!
Hey T...You may not have your numbers down where you want them yet but they are down! Go you!!!! Keep up the good work...you will get there!
ReplyDeleteYou might want to take a look at some of the recipes on my blog...haven't posted any for a while so I probably need to do that but some that I posted are low in carbs/fats. Make sure you read the notes and comments and if you have any questions, email me.
Sending lots of positive energy your way.
Hugs and Blessings,
Cat
Hey TL,
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the personal trainer. Although the results weren't quite what you were hoping for I think you are doing and heading in the right direction.
Thank you for the recipe, it looks delish!
Hugs,
Roz
I have a PT as well. I go twice a week. It's much easier after the first session, trust me. You'll never be as sore as that one unless you have a few months break ;)
ReplyDeleteCallie
You can do it TL. Getting rid of the carbs is so hard. I keep thinking I am doing well and then there they are--even in whole food form.
ReplyDeleteHi TL, :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like you've made some great progress, and are moving in the right direction to do more! Be proud! :).
I bet that the personal trainer has been cool but tough. Sorry that you are sore but just imagine how well you did to feel like that now. It means that whatever you did meant something, right? Good for you.
Just finished two months of being on a low low fat diet. I'd be happy to email you some ideas but you said low carbs so are you unable to have pasta at all- or rice? They are both low fat, depending on what you put on top of them. One of my favorite meals has been a red sauce made with onion, garlic, green peppers and ground chicken breast, which is very low in fat- on top of spaghetti. You can use protein enriched pasta or whatever you want. We don't use any oil at all- just Pam and a non stick pan. It's yummy!
Thanks so much for the recipe, TL! Yum! Hugs to you and keep up the good work!
<3 Katie