Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Blogiversary: A Month in Review

So sometimes I'm like a middle school girl.  I draw hearts and flowers on my notes during meetings, I secretly love Call Me Maybe, and Taylor Swift, and I celebrate anniversaries by the month.  Today is officially my one month blogiversary.  In honor of this momentous occasion I thought I would talk a little about the journey that Bucko and I have been making this past month.

I have to start by saying I grossly underestimated the awesomeness that is my husband.  If you would have told me three months ago, or heck even a month ago that we would be where we are now, I would have said you were out of your mind.  I knew Bucko was an amazing husband.  He always had been.  He was kind, caring, considerate, loving, and all the things that make me a happy girl.  I just wasn't sure that leading our family was something he wanted to do, or would be able to do.  He has a very laid back nature.  In the past I have been the one to worry about things and get them done.  

Well long story short (Yes, I'm capable of telling a short story) I was wrong.  Bucko has really stepped up as the leader in our home and I have fallen more into a submissive role.  I still find myself worrying over things from time to time, but overall I'm less stressed.  When I start to question Bucko is quick to say, "I got this." 

Like all DD couples our introduction to this lifestyle had its ups and downs.  We struggled with consistency, acting out, and just generally finding our stride.  I was frustrated and kept trying to "help." In essence I was trying to tell him how to lead, and he was annoyed by my doing so.  Alright that went well.  New plan.  Shut it, TL.  You wanted this, so give him the space to find his wings.  I'm a teacher, I feel comfortable instructing.  It's a hard habit to break.  We are talking major challenge here.  It's a work in progress.

Then I really had to bite the big one.  I had to communicate.  I had to realize this crazy important fact.  My husband is not a mind reader.  I had to tell him what I wanted and needed.  So I did.  And he listened.  Then it started to click.  We talked more.  Not every talk was a long drawn out totally focused talk.  Those happened, but sometimes communication came in just everyday chats.  Things seemed to get better after that and I told Bucko so. That's when I noticed the change.

Bucko became a more confident and comfortable leader.  I became more able to step back and let him do his job.  I recently asked Bucko what brought on his sudden comfort with TTWD.  He said the turning point for him was when I told him he was doing a good job and I was happier.  Wow.  Really?  So to sum it up the thing that made my husband confident enough to excel was my praise.  I'm sure I heard that somewhere in a teaching class.  Now why didn't I think before to apply that to my marriage? The answer is... I don't know.

I've learned some valuable lessons in the past month.  1. My husband is awesome.  I knew that already, but I've come to appreciate it more now. 2. Words are a powerful thing.  Negative words can make our fellas feel like they don't do anything right, and keep them from feeling comfortable with the idea of leading.  What's the point if we still won't be pleased?  3.  A little praise goes a long way.  By saying Bucko was doing a good job, he now strives to keep doing it.  He wants to make me happy.  I suspect the same is true of all men.

Lessons are only worthwhile if you do something with them.  I intend to go forth in TTWD focusing on the positive.  Sure, I'll talk or tell Bucko if something is really wrong, but I'm no longer interested in pointing out every flaw.  Nothing in life is ever perfect, so to expect that of my man is unrealistic, but I've found the more I focus on the positive the more positive I get.   

Okay, so it was more of a long story long, but it's been a great month.  Here's to many more.  I hope!  Thanks everyone for reading and supporting me through this journey.

Love,
TL  

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on your Blogiversary and on everything you've learned TL. One tiny piece of advice, if at some time things are down rather than up, come back and read this awesome post!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cat. You are always so positive. I love reading your comments and your blog. Thank you for joining me on this journey.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this TL; this is exactly what I needed to hear... or read. I am at that point with Gadget where I'm always trying to "fix" TTWD. I'm always pointing out things he's doing wrong in a vain attempt to be helpful. I was afraid to truly submit and I have been incredibly unhappy... and he lacks confidence and it's become a cycle. Thank you for sharing this. It was a light bulb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to be able to help. I have noticed with Bucko that my words mean a lot to him, and the more I focus on the positive the better things get. Best of luck to you and Gadget. I'm here anytime you want to talk.

      Delete
  3. It's great to look back and see how far you've come. Your blog made me thing to look back at my own marriage in DD and how far both my HoH and I have come in what really is such a short amount of time.

    Thank you for sharing :)

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to look back. I think it really helped me to see how great things have been lately. I'm proud of the journey Bucko and I have made. Sounds like your journey is going well too.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing TL. I hope Bucko is going to read this too. I have enjoyed getting to know you over the past month- boy how time flies ( not always within the Dd house walls)

    Lots of Love

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willie! Bucko was reading some of this last night. He felt the need to point out that his favorite part was when I said I grossly underestimated his awesomeness. Men! I hope things are going well for you and Barney.

      Love,
      TL

      Delete
  5. Really neat TL! I love posts like this. I hadn't really thought about it but our encouragment is really important to them. They can see us changing but they need to hear out loud that they are doing a good job. Thanks for that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Susie. I'm glad you enjoyed. I have really been trying to be more positive with Bucko and I do see a difference. You catch more flies with honey, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blogiversary! I have enjoyed reading each and every one of your blogs. I'm happy for you and Bucko and how far you've come. Looking forward to reading more....keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled to have you here, Shannon. I look forward to each of your visits, my friend. I'm glad that you and the hubby enjoy.

      Delete
  8. It sure sounds like a wonderful month! When we began all this I was also amazed at the sudden and completely wonderful changes! I'm happy for you. So you're a teacher too huh? Email me sometime. I'd like to know more.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a wonderful month. I'm thrilled with the way things are going for us. Thanks for stopping by. Always good to meet another teacher.

      Delete
  9. I finally got your blog back on my blog listing. I had to come copy and paste your address into the "ADD" thing 3 times!

    Anyways - Congrats on your Blogiversary!!

    Communication really is the big one huh?
    No matter how many times I hear it, I never seem to grasp that communication is the number one most important thing.
    Clamming up is easier I guess?

    Isn't it funny that something you'd teach wasn't thought about as far as marriage goes?
    I'd say I've seen my Husband become so much more confident over the past few months as well.
    They really begin to "get it" and step up.. then we have to make sure WE step up too.

    That I still struggle with ONE year later!

    :)

    Here's to many more blogiversaries! (that is not a word says my spell checker!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was looking on your blog roll today I didn't see mine. :( Thank you for the congratulations.

    I think it's easy to forget that adults need praise as much as children do, sometimes more. I'm working on it. I'm trying to step up and do my part to keep us on this wonderful track.

    Blogiversary is too a word. I'm an English teacher. I made it one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogiversary. I'm glad things are going so well for you and your guy. I hope you don't read my post or comments thinking I need to go back to school(since you are an English teacher. I did not flunk grammar. As a nurse, I have written in sentence fragments for almost 30 years. I see my comments, and I see much of it looks like a series of many run on sentences. May God continue to bless you and yours, Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Belle. Things are great and I couldn't be happier. No worries about your grammar. Bucko has rules about me correcting people's grammar if they don't ask for it. ;) Thank you for continuing to read and joining me on this journey.

    Hugs,
    TL

    ReplyDelete