Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Not Exactly What I Had in Mind

My apologies in advance for the length and rambling nature of this post.  It's been a rough few days and I'm still sorting out my feelings about it all.  I'm hoping that putting my thoughts here will give me some clarity and much needed peace of mind.  I'm happy to wait if you want to get a drink and get comfortable before continuing to read.

For a while I was considering that I may need to change the name of my blog.  As of late things for Bucko and I have been easy.  It seemed as though we found our stride in TTWD and everything was coming up roses.  We were on DD cloud nine never to return to the dark and confused place of yesterday.  Yeah well, nobody said it would be that easy.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it here before, but holidays are not my thing.  I love Christmas shopping and decorating, but holidays come with stress, family obligations, biting your tongue, and a whole host of other things which are not my strong suit to say the least.  When I get stressed I tend to fumble around unable to see the forest for the trees.  I focus on too many things at once and can't accomplish anything.  When I get like that I get frustrated and angry and I lash out at whatever unfortunate soul happens to cross my path.  I had hoped that this year with TTWD things would be different.  I was sorely disappointed.

I got stressed.  I ran around like a mad woman worrying over things that in the grand scheme of things didn't even matter.  The more I got worked up the more I wanted Bucko to step up.  The more he backed away, the more angry and out of control I became.  It seemed like Bucko and I fell into an old cycle from the beginning of our relationship.  When I felt Bucko wasn't helping me, I distanced myself.  Bucko tried to help and felt pushed away so he gave up.  I just saw the giving up and I became angry.  He became angry at me for being angry at him.  It was a mess.

Even before DD, Bucko and I rarely fought.  When we did it was epic.  (Picture door slamming, yelling, volcanoes erupting.)  Twice Bucko offered to leave and go do something without me thus giving me the space he thought I wanted.  This just served to make me more angry, because I felt like he was abandoning me when I needed him the most.  I spent a lot of time in our room alone listening to that voice in my head telling me I was a naive fool for thinking that things would be better and this would last.  That damn voice kept telling me I was too difficult to deal with and had finally pushed Bucko too far.  Yep, you guessed it.  I lost my mustard seed.

We had a fight and the entire ride to his parents' house Christmas Eve was spent in total silence his eyes on the road and mine out the window.  Tears streamed down my face.  I was hurt, angry, and wanted to tell him that he'd let me down, but I wouldn't be the first one to talk.  When he tried to reach out to me at his parents' house I pushed him away.  I claimed at the time I didn't want to talk about it there and let his parents know something was wrong, but I think part of me just wasn't ready. 

Our pre-DD pattern was to fight and then just cool off and go back to normal.  We wouldn't talk about what caused the problem.  We would just pretend it hadn't happen and let it go until the next big fight.  As we laughed and pretended to be okay for the sake of his family I could feel this happening again.  I could hear that little voice in my head singing 'I told you so.'  

As we sat on the couch that night in the soft light of our Christmas tree we slowly began to talk.  I told Bucko I felt abandoned.  He told me he felt pushed away.  I told him that I felt like he walked away and didn't lead when I needed him the most.  He told me he felt more like a parent than an HOH. (OUCH... that hurt.)  I told him these emotions and overwhelmed feelings are hard for me and I don't know what to do when they crash over me.  He told me it's difficult for him to lead when I push him away.  He doesn't want to force me.  I told him I needed him to.  He said that was hard.  I'm not sure what we will do the next time these feelings arise.  I can only hope that our new understanding of how the other feels will help.

I had this picture in my head of what our Christmas Eve spanking would look like.  I pictured us on the couch with the soft glow of the Christmas tree in the background.  I pictured a long loving spanking with gentle touching that would lead to other things.  We would feel safe, loved, and wish each other Merry Christmas tangled in each others arms. In my head it was perfect. 

What I got wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  There was the glow of the Christmas tree, at least for most of it.  It wasn't the soft gentle spanking of my dreams.  It was a long hard reset.  We moved from the living room to the bedroom where his new belt (yes I was stupid and bought the damn thing for him) and one of our paddles came into play.   I cried some, but most of my tears came before and after.  Even a few now days later as I sit and write this.  It was probably one of the longest and hardest spankings we've done since we started TTWD.  We went to spend the next day with my family and I was still sitting tenderly.  It wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but maybe it was what we needed.

Things are still not back to what I would consider our normal.  That voice is still in my head making me doubt.  I still tear up a little thinking about how this holiday didn't work out as planned.  We are talking and things are okay, but still a little off.  I'm sure things will settle down and Bucko and I will get back to a better place.  I am disappointed that the holiday didn't go as I wanted it to.  I'm still left wondering if Bucko will return to his new/old self.  I'm still left wondering if I will do the same.  This was not exactly what I had in mind.

I apologize again for my long ramblings.  I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.  I do feel a little more at peace having gotten all of this out of my system.  Thanks for listening.

Love,
TL 
  

14 comments:

  1. Hi TL :)

    I just wanted to let you know, that I could have written this same post. Not sure if that makes you feel any better or not ;) This is our first Christmas doing ttwd, and I had the same hopes that you did. I think this time of year is just very stressful....and we cannot see how unreasonable our expectations are for the "perfect Christmas". Ryan and I had a huge blow up a few days before Christmas, and I was ready to throw in the towel with this whole Dd thing....it was ugly! The thing is, we were able to work through it in three or so hours...even though they were three very long hours. In the old days, that fight would still be going on. It took me awhile to feel completely better....but we got there eventually. Not sure how helpful this is, but I do understand...and I am glad it is getting better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,

      Thank you so much for stopping by. I'm not sure better is the right word, since I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone, but I'm glad to know I am not alone. Thank you for sharing this. I'm glad things are getting better for you as well.

      Delete
  2. TL, I'm sorry that your Christmas was so stressful. Mine was too, although not as much it seems. I am surprised at a pattern I see... why is it that holiday stress and sore bottoms seem to go together for DD wives? (rhetorical)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and Gadget had a wonderful Christmas and everything worked out for you. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  3. Very good post.This was also our first Christmas doing TTWD.
    I believe we get things built up so much in our head of the way we think things should go and how perfect they'll be, that when this doesn't happen we are so disappointed in ourselves....like we have let our spouse down, and ourselves. I have to remind myself everyday that this is not going to be easy...to be patient with myself, and with my HOH...not to always be so hard on myself, or him.

    I'm glad things are getting better with you and Bucko. I look forward to reading your posts.....good luck T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon. You are a wonderful friend and I look forward to reading your comments. I remind myself often that it's not always easy (hence the blog title) yet I still seem to forget. Things seem to be better. We'll get there.

      Delete
  4. I have to say, I could have written this as well! Don't take it too hard. I too have had a path of roses turn to only thorns on this DD journey and the Holidays bring out the worst in me, as well as family vacations!

    I feel the same way at times, hoping that our dd lifestyle would keep me / us in check, but I have fallen off the wagon at many points and it's been exactly like you wrote - lashing out at poor folks who get in my path.

    There are many ups and downs, and time to learn from them too. :) I often have made the mistake of thinking things are supposed to go a certain way only to have them completely crumble. I think that drives my "H" crazy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives me crazy too. It's nice to know I'm not alone, though as much as this sucks I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing TL :) It looks like you've had a hard time these holidays. Holidays aren't my thing either. The stress gets to me. I honestly tried to book our flights to leave Australia on the 24th, just so I wouldn't have to deal with it. H would have none of that.
    We all go through times like this. It sucks completely, but we all pul through the other side somewhat stronger. Just keep the communication going.

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too could have written this..Oh wait I did...minus of course the spanking part...sigh

    Here's to the New Year!

    Love
    Willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if it makes you feel better, I'm not sure the spanking part helped much. Things still don't feel right around here. Here's to the New Year.

      Love,
      TL

      Delete
  7. TL - Here's my opinion, which along with a dollar will get you a cheap cup of coffee. We build a 'perfect' scenario in our heads and when it doesn't play out EXACTLY how we have imagined, we are extremely let down and start playing the 'blame game' and/or the 'doubting game'. Find some time to sit down and calmly discuss this with Bucko. Maybe have him read this post and use it as a jumping off point for your discussion. Most of all, forgive yourself, forgive Bucko and remember how much you love one another. Hoping things work out soon.

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your opinion makes a lot of sense and is worth at the very least a good cup of coffee. I tend to be a perfectionist and when I don't get things exactly the way I intended I get upset. Things seem to be settling down now and hopefully returning to normal. (Whatever that is.) Thanks for the support. You are such a good friend.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete