Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Family and Faith in HOH

Hey Everybody.  I apologize for my recent silence.  I caught some sort of bug and got into an intimate relationship with my couch.  Thankfully things are clearing up now, because being sick over my holiday break would suck!  I would have posted yesterday, but as a teacher I felt compelled to participate in the blogger day of silence.  Coming off the tragedy at my own school, I wanted to show my support for the students and teachers who are dealing with so much more than I am.  The loss of any child is tragic, and the loss of good teachers willing to give up their lives for the students they love is equally sad. My heart goes out to all of the people affected by this event.

I was asked in a recent email to write a blog about how to avoid getting into trouble over the holidays.  Sorry to disappoint, but I've got nothing here.  The holidays are a stressful time for me and I'm usually on edge myself.  My family and I don't always have the best of relationships.  They know how to push my buttons like no other, probably because they installed them.  I'm usually a patient and go with the flow kind of girl.  Okay, even I can't say that with a straight face.  I'm usually a bottle it up and don't let them see you sweat until you go nuclear kind of girl.  Showing respect for the family is important to Bucko.  Where my family is more like the Hatfields and McCoys under one roof, Bucko's is more like the Waltons.  He doesn't always understand my issues.  

Two of our big rules are respecting the family, and keeping the faith in my HOH.  This is our first Christmas with DD and I wondered how this would work.  As has been his custom lately, Bucko has stepped up and passed with flying colors.  Though I must admit I could have lived without being swatted in my front yard.

My baby sister is home from college for winter break.  I adore my baby sister.  I was 10 when she was born so it was like getting my own life sized cabbage patch kid.  I helped with everything, and would do anything for that child.  Fast forward 20 years, I still adore my baby sister, but like most babies of the family she's a little spoiled (yes this is partly my fault) and lot irresponsible (again, partly my fault.)  She came over to visit after arriving home, only to tell me that she failed one of her classes and unless she gets a 4.0 next semester she is in danger of losing her scholarship. (AGAIN!) Now I know that it isn't my responsibility, but she's my baby sister.  Throw into the mix that she came over on maintenance day and color me discombobulated.  Apparently I was acting out and resting on the fact that I was willing to bet Bucko wouldn't do anything with my sister around.  Guess who was wrong?  Well when my sister went to the other room Bucko comes up to me in the kitchen.

Just because your sister is here there is no reason for all this.  You need to chill out.

I'm trying, you chill out, Bucko.  (Yes I said this, and yes the look on his face could wilt a rock.)

Look, I don't care if I have to take you in the garage where she can't hear.  Either you settle down or I'll settle you down.  Understand?

Umm... yes Sir? (Eek!)

I settled down.  A little later I expressed my surprise to Bucko.  I had doubted that he would step up with my sister here.  Probably shouldn't have mentioned this while we were hanging Christmas lights.

You surprised me.  I didn't think you would be all HOH-y with my sister here.

You always doubt me.

Not always, just sometimes.  I'm working on it.

Work harder.  Hands on the ladder.

What?!?

You heard me.

This is the front yard, Bucko.  You can't be serious.

It's practically dark and if you don't want to anyone to see you better hurry up, before someone comes outside.

I hurried and he swatted about five times.  When did his hand start to sting even over my jeansI think the HOH monster is here to stay.  Happy Holidays to me!         

15 comments:

  1. Girlfriend... I hear ya... I got the hairy eyeball at the WALMART.... and the HoH.. tone, "YOU can stop that RIGHT now..." Dang...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Dana - Guess he had his HoH hat on in the Walmart! LOL

      Delete
    2. LOL! Bucko said the same thing. We are stealing hairy eyeball.

      Delete
  2. Hairy eyeball! I love it. I'm so stealing that one, girl. :) I hope you are doing well and enjoying the Man's time at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So TL - You're going to be watching that behavior very carefully huh? Spanked in the front yard? Yikes! Good luck!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! It looks like I'm going to need it. HOH's! Sheesh.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I seriously love "the look that could wilt a rock"...

    That's a perfect explanation!

    Isn't it funny how they get once they really "get" it?

    Once I got pulled OTK in our front room, it was dark outside and the curtain was open.. I kept squirming and complaining that any dog walker could SEE us like that!!
    He didn't care... I about died of embarrassment!
    There's no way I'd like to be swatted out front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd say funny, but it's something alright. We don't have kids yet, so I pretty much get swatted wherever we are in the house. Now he's starting taking liberties elsewhere. I guess that means I should beware.

      Delete
  5. Does anyone else get the feeling that Cat is cheering on HoHs ? I mean YES that is what we want, an HoH...but sheeeesh.

    Front yard huh? Well at least it was almost dark, but you better more careful, you never know when some Girl Scout might pop by trying to sell some cookies.

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to get that feeling too, Willie. LOL.

      Seriously, I never thought I'd have to worry about passing cars and ice cream trucks.

      Delete
    2. Heeeeeyyyyy! You really want to see me cheering HoH's? :D And just because I give Barney some encouragement...sheesh!

      Delete
    3. You too TL?!? I can start cheering for Bucko and giving him suggestions!

      *evil grin* Oh Bucko... if you're reading this, I have many years of being on the receiving end and can give you plenty of ideas...

      Delete
    4. Bucko comes up with plenty of ideas on his own thank you very much. Aren't we DD wives supposed to stick together? Where is your loyalty sister?

      Delete
    5. Hey TL - who agreed with Willie...hmmm? I'm definitely loyal and I when I read about my sisters wanting their HoH's to step up more, what else can I do but try to help? :D

      Hugs,
      Cat

      Delete
    6. That's why we love you so much, Cat. You are one of the most helpful and supportive women I know. I am blessed to call you my friend.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete