Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Peanut Butter and Communication Sandwich

We have all talked before about how much TTWD improves the communication between partners.  It really does.  I was reminded of that fact today.

Bucko and I have known each other most of ours lives.  We grew up together, we have lived together for eight years, and been married for three.  We pretty much figured after all that time we knew all there was to know.  There weren't any surprises left to come, and we were okay with that.

Today was grocery shopping day in the Bucko household.  This has been, for as long as I can remember, a chore we've done together.  That's right ladies he shops.  It is almost totally, because he thinks I spend too much money when I go on my own (impulse shopper here) but the fact is he goes.  We get done faster and it's time spent together.  Works for us.

It's also summer which means for me school is out.  That means I'm home during the day, and not eating lunch at school.  I'm one of those people that gets bored eating the same thing over and over again, so tons of leftovers really just isn't for me.  I wanted to get some stuff for sandwiches while we were in the store.  That meant we needed peanut butter.  

Heading over to the peanut butter without even thinking I picked up the jar of smooth peanut butter.  It's what we've always gotten.  Then I paused.  I reached for the jar of extra crunchy peanut butter.  I've always liked it better than smooth, but never got it because I thought Bucko didn't care for it.





The conversation went like this:

"What are you doing with crunchy peanut butter? You don't like it"

(Said at the same time as) "Nevermind you don't like crunchy peanut butter."

"Actually I like crunchy peanut butter.  I like it better than smooth."

"Me too." 

(Again same time) "Wait a minute... what?"

We went on trying to figure out how we could have been together so long and not known what peanut butter the other preferred.  The funny thing was we both were giving up something we liked better, because we thought the other didn't care for it.  If we had just talked we wouldn't have had to miss out on something.

TTWD is kind of like a that.  Before DD we were both eating an okay sandwich.  There wasn't anything really wrong with it, but it wasn't as good as it could have been.  We both wanted this type of relationship, but were denying ourselves because we were sure the other didn't want/like it.  Now that we've talked about it we are finding that more often we are getting what we actually want and not missing out on anything.

It's interesting when you think you know someone so well, and then you learn something new.  I guess there are a few surprises left after all.

22 comments:

  1. Love this. Great analogy!
    I like crunchy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can't wait to make a sandwich. :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the smile T! I like smooth with honey. ;)

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romance in the peanut butter aisle. Love it.
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TL, I love the comparison.

    It is amazing how we can keep finding things out about each other, even though we thought there wasn't anything we couldn't possibly already know about our spouse.

    How funny that you were both putting up with a peanut butter you didn't really like thinking the other preferred it. At least now you can both enjoy a better peanut butter sandwich LoL. BTW - it has to be smooth for me :)

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty funny. I'm glad we have the right peanut butter now.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  5. This was really sweet:) Happy summer vacation TL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it!!! That is so adorable. What a great story too and a fantastic sandwich, especially with banana!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love peanut butter and banana. Willie needs lots and lots of bananas. :D I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
    2. Well tossing in a huge spoonful of peanut butter in the mouth *might* be a good idea to stop the " OUCH> OW> STOP" during a banana...good idea ladies

      Delete
    3. Let me know how that works out for you.

      Delete
  7. Sadly peanut butter gives me indigestion, but I do prefer crunchy. We don't have EXTRA crunchy here....I guess your sandwiches are peanut bEtter!

    Bucko you were so awesome in this post by the way!

    love, willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your indigestion, peanut butter is awesome as are our sandwiches.

      Will you stop giving him a big head? He believes everything you say.

      Love and hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  8. This is a brilliant post, TL. It's a true ah-ha moment, isn't it? We need to communicate even the smallest of things, how much richer would our lives be if we truly shared our hearts with our men?

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a funny moment. It was strange that neither of us thought to tell the other we liked crunchy better. We both thought we were giving it up for the other person. It was a pleasant surprise, and a really good sandwich.

      Delete
  9. I think the funniest part is that you've been thoughtfully deferring to the other for so long. You both want to please each other. LOL...you are going to chuckle every time you have a peanut butter sandwich together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess the bright side is we were both concerned about each other. I did laugh this morning when I was making a sandwich for breakfast. He smiled when he saw me with the peanut butter. Now we have a little inside joke. :D

      Delete
  10. I absolutely adored this post...for several reasons. One, because the professor has been my shopping partner for as long as I can remember. Usually he's in the magazine section and will call me from time to time to make sure I'm ok. He does the majority of the cooking but he likes me to figure out what to make so there's no guesswork. I love it. So I know what you're saying about being together, works for us too.

    Second, you both sound fairly easy-going and that makes for such a wonderful foundation in a marriage. You take things as they come and one day at a time. I love how it comes thru in this sweet post.

    And third, how cute are you to spend your whole lives together and still be able to find joy in the little things?! That's just the best feeling.

    I loved this post!
    Hugs
    M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bucko and I are pretty laid back people. We enjoy being together. It is fun finding that I can learn something new about someone I've known my entire life. I didn't think he could surprise me anymore. Turns out he still can. Thanks for stopping by. It's always nice to read such positive things.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete