I've often been told I express myself best through writing. I like to think I have a way with words and a unique way of putting my own spin on the world. However, the struggle has often been with my confidence in that arena. Who wants to hear the strange (and sometimes bat-shit crazy) ramblings of a teacher who married her best friend? Maybe nobody does, but I think I've reached the point where I can write for me. I don't feel really comfortable sharing the innermost secrets of my life with some of my friends and coworkers. Clearly random strangers on the internet are a better choice. Just go with me on this people! Thanks to the inspiration of Stormy, Rogue, Christina, Chelsea and a long list of other brave souls, I'm giving this a shot. Challenge accepted: Look out blogland here I come.
To those of you wonderful people who haven't gone running for the door, router? facebook? What does one run to on the internet? I'll start with an introduction. I'm a simple girl. I grew up in a broken home in a small town. I met my best friend in elementary school. We grew up together, and he's a wonderful man that I have always adored, though I left the poor guy in the friend zone for the better part of twenty years. Growing up the way I did, I knew all the ways love could go wrong and I didn't want that for us. Eventually I came around and channeling REO Speedwagon said "I can't fight this feeling anymore," and we were married. He is a wonderful man. He's laid back and mellow, my intellectual equal, and my opposite in almost every way (except for maybe our combined level of nerdiness.) He provides a balance in my life and a stability I didn't know could exist. Over the course of our twenty something year relationship we have perfected the art of playful banter. One of my many terms of endearment for my darling husband, whether I am annoyed with him or not, is Bucko, as in "move it bucko!" "Watch it bucko!" and even the occasional "love you bucko." He takes it all in stride with a laugh and smile.
Things have been going along swimmingly for Bucko and me since we tied the knot, but something was missing. I needed more. I have always been the adult in my life. I have a type A get it done kind of personality that makes me driven and successful. It also makes me a stressful wreck and a royal pain to be around sometimes. I have never wanted to depend on anyone for anything. Those type of relationships don't work out, or so I thought. But then the question became, when is someone going to help me out for a change? When is it my turn to be taken care of? I realized something through reading other blogs on TTWD. I am capable of taking care of myself, but sometimes I don't want to. Sometimes I need someone else to take the reins. That realization, however, came with another one. I had to ask for help. Say what now?
I tried several times to make the words come out, but my normally strong and commanding teacher voice just wouldn't cooperate. What if he thinks I'm weird? What if he thinks I'm nuts? Or worst of all What if he leaves? Yep, there it is folks a fear of being abandoned by the man I love. That was what it all boiled down to. I had to face my fear. Bucko knows pretty much everything there is to know about me from my obsessive love of the color pink to my irrational fear of baby alligators. (That's another story for another post)
Alright TL, put on your big girl panties and let's do this! I was being very inspirational in my inner monologue. Picture Eye of the Tiger playing and a very uncoordinated 30 something girl running up some stairs with a paddle in hand. It was moving. Really! I digress. Anyway one day out of the blue I took the plunge and told him what I wanted/needed. Blurt it out quick before you lose your nerve, kind of like ripping off the band-aid.
So he was a little confused. "You want me to do what now?" "But you are a grown woman?" But no running and screaming. We explored LDD (Thanks Clint and Chelsea) and a few other blogs. After a little while, he agreed to give it a shot. And that takes us to the present moment. Are things perfect? Heck no! Bucko and I are struggling to figure out the balance and how things work in our new roles, but we are trying. That's what it's all about right? Accepting the challenge and making it work. Well challenge accepted.
So much for the brief introduction, but there it is. I would appreciate comments, but please be gentle I'm new at this! Thanks everyone for the support in advance.
TL
Thank you so much for your comments and for visiting my blog.
ReplyDeleteLet's keep in touch - it's nice to talk with someone who is "on the same page"!
Compliments on your wonderful blog too.
I*ll subscribe by mail.
Hugs
Jack's Jill
Absolutely thanks so much!
DeleteI wish you well with your new blog! Welcome to our community! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I have been overwhelmed with how friendly everyone is here in blogland.
DeleteIt's a very friendly community! :)
DeleteWelcome to blogland!! Excellent start on your blog here. I'm very curious about the baby alligators now. I look forward to following your journey...
ReplyDeleteYou just made my day. I promise I will post soon about the stories of the baby alligators! Thanks Rogue!
ReplyDeleteWelcome TL - you did a great job with your intro. Baby alligator? Oh, I have got to hear this one. :)
ReplyDeleteBlessings on your journey,
Cat
Thank you Cat. I promise I will tell the baby alligator story!
DeleteI'm very much looking forward to following your blog. I also married my childhood sweetheart and denied what I REALLY needed for years. We started Dd about 2 months ago. Stopping and starting a few times :). I found your blog on the new LDD forums so perhaps we can connect there.
ReplyDeleteMichele
Absolutely I am excited now that I've started. I would love to connect with you. A girl can't have too many friends!
DeleteFantastic start!! I'm so excited for you! I want to hear more about you and Bucko (I say Mister, or Buddy when I want to "say" more than just his name...lol)
ReplyDeleteDon't ever feel like you don't have anything to contribute, or ike you don't know what to say. Just share! My best advice? Be real, even when its hard. When I most want to NOT write, is when I know I should. For me, for him, for us.
Also, your blog is for YOU. Ultimately, its for your journey and for you to get your thoughts out and untangled. (or even stay tangled but get them out anyway!) So if people are mean or critical or anything, stay the course and keep writing..for YOU and for BUCKO, and for who you are and where you are going.
Well that's my advice for better or for worse.
One more thing? If you ever start to compare yourself to others on this journey, stop. We are all so unique. Want a test? If you read a blog and after, feel critical of your man or discontent, there's your answer. You may need a break from reading blogs. Take that time to write on YOURS.
Welcome! I'm excited for you. Email me anytime, btw.
Stormy
Wow! I'm so thrilled to have you read my blog Stormy! I am slowly finding my way in this world, but having supporters like you definitely makes it easier. Thank you so much for the great advice.
DeleteYou're an excellent writer, TL! I'm looking forward to reading more. Welcome to Blogland, and DD!
ReplyDelete-Chelsea
Thank you Chelsea! Coming from you that is quite the compliment!
ReplyDeleteWelcome! I look forward to reading about your journey, thank you for sharing it with us! I found your link on the LDD forums,also. I wish you well and good luck with your new blog.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much! I appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteThat was awesome. My HOH and I are also very new at DD. We both are learning our new roles in our new life. Thank you very much for writing the blog. I enjoyed it so much.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading. I appreciate the comments. It's always good to have a friend when you are starting out.
ReplyDelete