In the past few days a question has been raised on the forums that caught my attention. The first part of this question is does being a part of a DD lifestyle change us? Does being a DD husband or wife fundamentally change who we are? I found this conversation intriguing and felt compelled to throw my two cents in on the matter. This is in no way an expert opinion, but what I have observed in my limited time with this lifestyle. As Bucko and I progress the opinions I offer today may well change, and new blog post will be written when and if that happens.
The question of DD changing who we are is a scary one. I think it is especially so, perhaps for a wife or husband who is just presenting this idea to a spouse. No person wants to go to his or her spouse and say "Hey I love you and all, but if you could change everything about who you are that would rock my socks!" We love our significant others, we wouldn't have chosen to spend our lives with them otherwise. So a lot of guilt can come from asking them to potentially change.
From what I have seen in my short experience with TTWD that isn't what we are asking of each other, and the result is not some dramatic personality change that leaves the one you love hardly recognizable. Bucko is a laid back, easy going kind of guy. That hasn't changed and frankly I wouldn't want it to. The introduction of domestic discipline has not changed him from the wonderful man I fell in love with. I have asked him to lead our family, to express his opinion and guide us in the way that is best for our marriage. That isn't changing who he is; Bucko has always had that voice I'm just asking him to exercise his right to use it. He has not asked me to become less of the strong opinionated woman I was before TTWD. I still have a voice in our marriage and always will. In fact, I think Bucko and I are better partners now than we have ever been.
What I have seen change is the way we interact with each other. Bucko is more confident in asking for what he wants, and so am I. We do not have endless rounds of "I don't know what do you want to do?" We spend much less of our time frustrated with what the other did or did not do, but get the job done together. While Bucko is the guiding force, the responsibility of making our marriage work falls to both of us.
What has changed is not us, but our behavior. Bucko works hard to help share the load of responsibility. He makes sure tasks are taken care of so I'm not running around like a crazy woman. I am more open with my praise of things he does well, and more mindful of how my words come across to him. I can still express my thoughts as I always have, I just don't have to saddle up my broomstick to do so. I think we are more respectful of each other. It seems like we are growing closer to each other. We are not two separate entities going about our business, but rather a united couple.
This type of marriage requires growth and change, but I don't think it requires any partner to give up who they are. I would like to think that isn't what TTWD is all about. I think the shift allows us to change our behavior and bring out the best in each other.
That's just my two cents. I welcome any thoughts you all have on the subject.
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter :) I don't know how I would feel if I thought my HoH was trying to change me. He does change a few behaviours, but nothing that is essentially a part of me.
ReplyDeleteYou are totally right that they married us for who we are, not how we express our opinions or any behaviours associated.
Thank you for your thoughts. I had a talk with Bucko about this post, so I may do a follow up with his thoughts on the subject.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you completely. DD has not changed who we are but has changed our interactions. We set aside time each week to talk about US, we speak to each other more respectfully and we are more aligned when dealing with the kids. We have always had a playful dynamic and that hasn't changed. We are both smart alec's and I still mess with him in a playful way. He would never want to change that about me. I'm also rather opinionated but I express my opinions more respectfully. Like you, we are very new to this, but I can't argue with the results it has had so far. I'm glad my little story on the forum inspired this discussion :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
My thoughts tend to ramble so a blog post seemed like a better place to put this. Bucko and I also have a very playful relationship and I wouldn't want that to change. Thanks for reading and starting the discussion in the first place.
ReplyDeleteYou have a very interesting point of view ... I think you are spot on ... I don't think we change i think our behavior changes!
ReplyDelete~Hugs~
Vanessa
It was such an interesting discussion, I really had to think about this one. It was even more interesting when I talked to Bucko about it. It seems his thoughts were a little different from mine. I'm considering a part two to this post.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to hear his thoughts. Looking forward to part 2!
DeleteI will let him know. :D
DeleteI feel like this relationship we are navigating is by mutual consent, so no one is expected to fundamentally changed or be forced to. Both have agreed this is a tool to help our marriages. The Man is laid back, this has helped him to be more focused and have higher expectations for him. He says he won't hold me accountable for something he isn't doing. It has caused me to lean, to soften.. and to learn to trust... Just my thoughts. Thanks for the discussion...
ReplyDeleteThat's exactly what Bucko says. The Man and Bucko sound a lot alike. I think your thoughts and his are both spot on. We are in this together. That learning to trust thing is hard, but I'm working on it. Thanks for your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteGreat post TL. I look at TTWD as a tool of communication and a way to set expectations, handle disagreements, and establish roles and boundaries. Of course, that's just my opinion... ;)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Cat
That sounds like a great way to look at it, Cat.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! I don't think we change our personalities - we change our form of communication!
ReplyDeleteI have fought my Jack on everything, even though I always accepted his decisions on things - I just never admitted it.
Man did I made unnecessary waves. Now we talk on a whole new level and it's fantastic!!
Hugs
Jack's Jill
Hey Jill,
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. We girls are good at making waves. I love the way that Bucko and I communicate now. Things are so much smoother than they used to be. I look forward to hearing more about you and Jack.
Hugs,
TL
What an interesting discussion TL. I suppose that if two mature people come to Dd together and begin to grow, "who" they are does not change at the very core but I know for my husband and I, we have unearthed parts of ourselves that we didn't know was down there under the surface. We've matured and in doing so, choose to change and not stay stuck in old ways. I guess at the end of the day someone observing from the outside might see two different people. Humm...maybe it does change who we are. I'll have to think more on it.
ReplyDeleteI think you make great points. Bucko and I haven't been doing this very long, perhaps as we progress my thoughts on the matter may change.
DeleteI just wanted to stop by and say hello to you. Thanks for stopping by my little blog today. Welcome to Blog Land. Wishing you the best on your journey. Hugs, SNP
ReplyDeleteHi! Thanks for stopping by. I enjoy reading your blog. I am thrilled you stopped in to read mine.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
TL