Wednesday, April 24, 2013

You Don't Get to Decide What's a Big Deal

That's what Bucko said when I told him I was fine and he was making a big deal out of nothing.  This was a new experience for me and for us a couple.  As much as I've seen and come to expect his new found HOH behavior this statement was rather jarring for me.  

I don't like going to the doctor.  I don't like being sick or hurt.  Let's be honest, what I don't like is feeling vulnerable.  It scares me.  I don't like feeling needy or like burden.

Last year I had an injury that required surgery.  That injury left me unable to walk for almost three months.  I was completely dependent upon Bucko for just about everything.  This injury was pre-DD and caused quite a strain between us.  He was working and having to take care of an injured wife who, in all honesty, was not the best patient.  I was bed-ridden and angry about it.  I hated not being able to do anything for myself.  We fought.  A lot.

Fast forward to last week.  This injury started to bother me again.  It still does on occasion, but last week it was bad.  I went to an urgent care facility to get checked out.  The urgent care doctor suggested that I see my surgeon just to make sure everything was still okay.  He hinted that another surgery may be required.  Oh hello kitty no!  That was not happening again.

I took some pain pills, and did what I usually did to make myself feel better.  It worked.  I felt better.  Bucko still wanted me to see the surgeon.  I argued.  I protested.  I told him he was making a big deal out of nothing.  That's when he told me I don't get to decide what is a big deal out of nothing anymore.  He said I was going to the doctor whether I liked it or not.  Or else.  We can all guess what the or else would have been.

I told him he was being overprotective. He says he was doing his job as HOH.  Maybe we are both right.

At any rate I went to two doctors today.  I had to go to my regular doctor to get a referral to see the surgeon again.  It turned out I was right and I am not going to need an additional surgery, however, I can't help but wonder if that was the real reason I protested going in the first place.  I think really the idea of having to go through another phase of being totally dependent upon Bucko scared me a little.  I hate feeling needy and helplessI do think if we had to do that again now, it would be different than it was before.  Things have changed so much since that time.  I'm more willing to be cared for and Bucko is more sure of his need to care for me.  I feel sure it would be better this time, but I'm glad we don't have to do it.     

22 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you don't have to have an additional surgery! Hope you start feeling better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To have surgery again would have sucked, but I agree with you. I think this time would have been better. Glad you don't have to test that theory anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing much better. I even went to yoga class, but Bucko still insists that I take it easy.

      Delete
  3. It is good news that you don't need extra surgery, maybe though if you had this time would be different. At least you know that Bucko is a great carer!!
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is great, but it's so nice to not have to be helpless.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you don't need another surgery, being stuck in bed is the worse. I'm sure that if you had needed another surgery, you would have made a much better patient this time around.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd go as far to say much better, but I'd probably be a little better. I'm a terrible sick person.

      Delete
  5. Hi TL. I hate to say it but I agree with Bucko (please don't shoot me). Given the previous surgery and history it needed to be checked out. They really are protective and especially when it comes to our health.

    I'm so glad to hear no further surgery is required and hope you feel better soon. I think you're right. If further surgery was required, it would have been different this time around.

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't shoot you, this time! :D I know he was just being protective, and on some level I know he was right. Don't tell him I said that.

      I'm glad things worked out the way they did.

      Hugs,
      TL

      Delete
  6. LOL...I think you were definitely both right:) He was looking out for you, and now you know for sure that you don't need to worry and that's a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good thing. I'm glad we don't have to worry about it for now.

      Delete
  7. Glad you dont need surgery again

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good to hear you don't need surgery and that you are starting to feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. I'm glad it's not as bad as I thought.

      Delete
  9. Am I EVER glad you went! I had a friend who had knee surgery a few years ago. A year later it bothered him, and he thought it was no big deal. His wife made him go. An infection had gotten in somehow, they still don't know how, and he could have died from it. I know it hurts to say this, but I think Bucko was right this time. Just because of how worried I was for my friend, and I know Bucko wants you around for a good long time! When it comes to one you love, it's always better safe than sorry. Just think of if it was him... what would you want him to do? I know, not fair putting the shoe on the other foot. ;) Just saying. :) {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are supposed to be on my side. Stop talking about things that make good sense. It will give Bucko a big head. LOL

      Delete
  10. Yeah, it's amazing how this lifestyle changes us, and I love that "cherish" aspect of it that makes us even feel ok being dependent. But yay! I'm so glad you don't need to find out quite yet! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to be okay with this dependent thing, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about it right now.

      Delete
  11. This sounds very familiar to my husband's "It is not up to you" that comes along with a serious stare down.

    I am so glad that it turns out that you are okay but ya know what TL, if you did need surgery it really would be different this time around. You would both respond so differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do they come up with this stuff? I'm glad it didn't come to that, but I'm pretty sure it would be much better this time around.

      Delete